One thing I would miss if I couldn’t eat dairy, besides ice cream, is cheesy Mexican food. You know, a bean and cheese burrito? So delicious. Well I’ve found out Mexican food can be delicious even without the dairy.
I have the Our Best Bites cookbook. So many great recipes in there. I tried the Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos and my husband and I both thought they were so delicious! We were in Mexican food heaven! I was always afraid to try this Vegetarian Black Bean Taquito recipe. .Something about the word vegetarian scares me.
I finally tried them and they were delicious and the best part might have been the vegan creamy cilantro-lime ranch dressing I made to go with it. I just happened upon vegenaise, which is a mayonnaise substitute, at Sprouts . No eggs. Score! So many yummy recipes call for mayonnaise, so I was thrilled to find a substitute. The only problem is vegenaise is almost double the calories of mayonnaise. But it is soooo good. I’ve had a couple of people try it and they loved it. I actually think that this recipe is the closest I’ve ever been to making dressing that tastes like Café Rio’s creamy dressing. Yum! In fact, Yum! Yum!
Slowly, but surely I’m coming around to the idea that vegetarian might not be so bad…. but don’t tell my husband. However, I will never, I repeat never, give up big fat juicy hamburgers.
Scoop a 1/4 of a cup onto the center of a tortilla and roll up. Place the rolls on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. I sprinkle them with a pinch of salt too.
Pull them out of the oven add the Creamy Cilantro-Lime Ranch Dip (Recipe down below) and you will fall in love!
Vegetarian Black Bean Taquitos
Recipe from Our Best Bites
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 2 T Salsa
- 1 Garlic Clove
- ½ t Cumin
- ½ t Kosher Salt
- ¼ t Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Big Handful Spinach
- ¾ c Corn (frozen or canned)
- 8-10 Tortillas
-Preheat Oven to 425 degrees -Place ¾ of the beans in a food processor with the salsa, garlic, cumin, spinach, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Process until smooth. Add the mixture to a bowl with remaining ingredients and mix together. – Place a ¼c of the mixture in the middle of each tortilla and roll up the tortilla and spray with a nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are crispy and golden brown. The cooking spray makes them turn out perfectly. **I took out red peppers and the cheese from the original recipe. I’m sure they would make the meal even yummier but I wanted to keep it so my little man could eat it.
Creamy Cilantro-Lime Ranch Dressing
Recipe from Our Best Bites
- 2 T Ranch Dressing Mix (I used THIS recipe)
- 1C Veganaise
- 1/2 C Soy Milk
- 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 C roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 C green salsa
- Place milk, mayo, or vegenaise, ranch mix, and about 2 T. lime juice in a blender.. Toss in the garlic, cilantro and green salsa. Blend it up. Sample it. You might have to sample it again just to make sure. Make it several hours ahead of time to allow it to thicken.This meal is perfect for freezing and reheating another day. The last time I made it I doubled the recipe so I could do just that! Although, I’m not sure how many actually made it to the freezer before we ate them all.